Aquaponics - Designing and Installation
The fish and the vegetables help each other to grow in one unit is called aquaponics. An aquaponics system will also help to produce safe -to- eat vegetables at your backyard kitchen garden.
One of the main advantages is that the aquaponics systems can be set up according to the demand of individual clients. We have done many projects in Kerala and south India.
Our team of professionals can do turnkey aquaponics project or supply you with the necessary equipment for DIY Aquaponics. Aquaponics is the intergeneration of the following two systems.
Aquaculture ( it helps the fish to grow)
Hydroponics (it helps the plants to grow)
The fish tank runs with the help of the filter system which has five major parts that help the system to grow fish and vegetables in an aquaponics system.
1) Rearing tank: (where we feed and grow fish) The rearing tank can be built by silipolin lining, IBC tank, HDPE potable tank or natural pond. The min depth of these tanks can be between 1.2 to 2 Mtrs.
2) Settling tank: (where we collect the waste, uneaten food and clean it with help of a biofilter ) These tanks can be build using Ferro cement, IBC tank, HDPE potable tank Etc. Should have arrangements to remove the collected waste.
3) Biofilter: (Where the bacteria grow and convert ammonia into nitrates which help plants to grow) Can be build using fibreglass, HDPE drums, IBC tanks etc as per the bioload.
4) Hydroponics :(where the plants grow with the help of excess nutrients from the water) tank can be built by silipolin lining, IBC tank, HDPE potable tank etc.
5) Sump : ( A pit in the lowest point in the tank where the water is flowing through and back to the rearing tank) This tank can be built by pond liners, IBC tank, HDPE potable tank etc.
One of the earliest references to the aquaponics system can be found in history dated back in 1000 A. D by Aztecs,
In the same way, the Chinese have followed the ancient footsteps by making a wooden raft filled with mud and cultivated rice for a living.
The modern version of aquaponics has been researched and implemented in the 1980s.
In olden days we need a huge area to cultivate fish and also work longer periods to harvest but Fisheries have developed a new method of harvesting in a period of 6 months. It is estimated that each fish will have a growth of 350 to 500gm in 6 months.
Sample Calculation for Aquaponics.
A 1000 litre tank can stock up to 50 fish seeds. The targeted stocking density of 25 kg at the time of Harvest. At this fish density, the farmers will be at a lower risk of potential diseases and loss of stock.
The PH of the water should be tested and it should generally in between 6.5 to 7.2 this will be suitable for growing healthy fish and vegetables.
Our team consists of experts in the field of aquaculture, Aquaponics and high-density fish farming. Kindly contact us for design and installation of your own aquaponics system.
To read more about building Garden water features, Koi fish pond designs, koi fish pond filters, and Koi Fish Ponds follow the links below.
- pH meters for Koi Fish Ponds | Swimming Pools
- Pond Pumps for Koi Fish Pond